Admissions Advisory Committee
Daniel NiederjohnFaculty Athletics Representative (Committee Chair) (Voting)
Richard FranzaChair, PAOC (Voting)
Jimmy CallawayTeaching Faculty Stand-by Voter (Voting)
Cheryl MatsonRepresentative of Undergraduate Admissions (Voting)
Michael ReddRepresentative of the Office of the Registrar (Voting)
Randy KennedyDirector, Student-Athlete Success Services (SASS)
Heath SenourAssociate Athletics Director of Compliance
Julio EspanaDirector of Global Admissions
Purposes and Procedures
The Admissions Advisory Committee (AAC) will advise the Admissions Office’s Undergraduate Admissions Appeals Committee (UAAC) regarding the applications for admission of prospective student-athletes who: (1) do not meet all applicable NCAA initial eligibility standards, and/or fall short of KSU admission standards in one or more areas; and/or, (2) have a past that contains an incident or incidents that may, if aired, provide negative publicity for the University. There is no limit to the number of such admissions that the Committee may recommend or that the President may grant.
The head coach of the prospective student-athlete (PSA) will, except in unusual circumstances, appear before the Admissions Advisory Committee in person to assist in consideration of the application. The head coach will come to the meeting prepared to discuss the team’s APR history and prospects, the team’s prior success rate with former special admits, as well as the PSA. It is expected that a plan of assistance for the prospective student-athlete, which would entail academic and/or behavior advisement, accompany any such admission request, and that the head coach come before the Admissions Advisory Committee prepared to discuss that plan and its relation to the needs of the particular student.
- 1 Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR) to the NCAA - will chair the committee.
- 1 Chair of the PAOC - will chair the committee in the absence of the FAR (In case of absence, may name a substitute from among the teaching faculty members of the PAOC. The substitute will hold a proxy vote but will not chair the meeting.)
- 1 The Faculty Executive Assistant to the President (FEAP) - will chair the committee in the absence of the FAR and Chair of the PAOC. (In case of absence, may name a substitute from among the teaching faculty members of the PAOC. The substitute will hold a proxy vote but will not chair the meeting.)
- 1 PAOC Teaching Faculty Representative – Elected by the teaching faculty representatives of the colleges on the PAOC from among their number. (In case of absence, may name a substitute from among the teaching faculty representatives of the colleges on the PAOC. The substitute will hold a proxy vote but will not chair the meeting.)
4 Faculty Members/ 6 Total Voting Members
- 1 Representative of Undergraduate Admissions: Will chair the meeting if none of the regular faculty representatives are present. In the event the Undergraduate Admissions representative does not agree with the majority vote of the Admissions Advisory Committee on a particular applicant, the representative may submit a minority report to accompany the Committee’s advisory recommendation to the UAAC.
- 1 Representative of the Office of the Registrar.
Quorum and Voting Rules
A minimum of three voting members constitute a quorum provided the three includes two faculty members, or their proxies, and either the Admissions Office or the Registrar’s representatives, or their proxies.
At least one of the two Administrative representatives, or a proxy, must be present to constitute a quorum.
Faculty members must be in a majority of those participating for all formal votes. If both Administrative members are present and only two faculty members, only the Admissions Office representative will vote.