Approved by the Faculty Senate on April 9, 2007
Amended by the Council, November 14, 2012
The primary role of the President's Athletics Oversight Council (hereinafter “PAOC”) is to serve as an advisory group to the President of the University concerning the intercollegiate athletics program, including providing oversight on strategic and budget planning and implementation, and on compliance with NCAA regulations. The PAOC will also report at least annually to the University Council and will provide briefings to other university shared governance bodies as requested and as schedules permit. Teaching faculty and administrators who hold an academic appointment must constitute at least a majority of the voting members of the Athletics Council, and at least a majority of the voting members of its Executive Committee.
Rules of Operation
A quorum of KSU PAOC and all its sub-committees shall consist of a simple majority of voting members. If faculty members are in a minority at any meeting, the majority of faculty members present, as well as a majority of all members present, must support any motion for it. Beyond this provision to assure faculty consent, the Council and its sub-committees shall operate according to Robert’s Rules of Order, unless those rules are suspended by a two-thirds majority vote.
Frequency of Meetings
The Council will meet at least quarterly; additional meetings may be called by the Chair or by the President of the University when necessary.
- 1 President of the University.
- 1 Chair, appointed by the President of the University, with advice from the KSU PAOC.
- 1 Faculty Athletics Representative to the NCAA, appointed by the President of the University, with advice from the KSU PAOC.
- 7 Faculty Representatives, one per degree granting college, each elected by a caucus of the Senators from that college. If the caucus cannot agree on a college representative, the Senate as a whole will choose by majority vote between the two candidates with the greatest support in the caucus. Faculty representative will serve three-year terms, staggered to provide continuity. Initial term lengths are: Arts 3; Business 2; Education 1; HHS 3; HSS 2, Science&Math 1; University College 3.
- 1 Chair of Dept of Exercise Science and Sport Management.
- 1 Chair of Dept of Health Promotion and Physical Education.
- (1) Non-voting Faculty Senate Liaison: If neither the Chair of the PAOC nor any of the Faculty Representative is a member of the Faculty Senate, the Senate will name a liaison from among its members.
11 Faculty / 20 Total Voting Members.
- 1 Director of Athletics
- 1 VP for Student Success.
- 1 VP for Operations.
- 1 Dean of Continuing Education.
- 1 Staff Senate Representative (elected by Staff Senate) [ initial term 1 year].
- 1 Administrators Senate Representative (elected by Administrators Senate) [initial term 2 years].
- 1 Student, appointed by President of Student Government Association[1 year term].
- 1 Student, appointed by President of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee 1 Alumni*, appointed by the President of the University [initial term 2 years].
- 1 Trustee*, Appointed by the President of the University [initial term 3 years].
* At least one must be businessperson.